I’m teaming up with Wayfair to bring you The Winter Edit, a collection of advice, inspiration, and trends for the upcoming season, starting with a Q & A between Wayfair and me!
Winter Decorating Q & A with Susanne Stewart of Eclectic Chic Blog
Wayfair: What kinds of design projects are you working on this season? Do you find that design challenges shift from season to season?
Susanne: This season we are working on a front porch addition. It’s cold here now, so I’m beginning to worry that the porch cover and new windows won’t be done before Christmas. Design challenges absolutely shift from season to season. Living in the midwest, we live through 4 different seasons and each one has its own set of challenges.
Wayfair: Are there any design trends or traditions you are loving right now?
Susanne: I am loving the minimal design trend. Not cold stark minimalism, but cozy minimalist design that allows for only the things you love the most without the clutter.
Wayfair: Which color palettes are speaking to you this season?
Susanne: dark modern colors are really speaking to me lately. I painted our master bedroom a really dark gray. I was worried it would be too dark, but it’s masculine and restful and modern looking. I used white to offset it and the contrast between the two colors really makes a statement.
Wayfair: What are a few ways people can spruce up their homes with holiday decor while on a budget?
Susanne: Choose decor that will last through the entire season, not just Christmas. Evergreen branches for instance are great for the entire season. Choose a wreath that you can change out the ribbon after the holidays, but still leave it up.
Susanne’s Wayfair Picks for Winter
I’m loving all the winter decor options available! I’m keeping it simple this year with decor I can leave out all season long, but who could pass up that cute reindeer pillow?!
After the holidays are behind us, everyone turns to organizing. This master closet makeover we did last year has been one of my favorite projects!
It’s a small closet and with the help of Wayfair, we maximized the space and I’m not afraid to leave the doors open anymore!
Winter Renovation Inspiration
For those working on home renovations this winter, Wayfair has what you need for dream appliance updates and more, including ranges, range hoods, refrigerators, beverage refrigerators, washing machines, and dryers. It’s always a good idea to scout out potential deals on Wayfair.
When shopping for appliances you should always consider the following
- Do your research. Compare brands and options. The latest technology may not always be the best choice for your home.
- Measure, Measure, Measure. Make sure you purchase the appliance that will fit where you need it to go.
- Consider a counter depth refrigerator. They sit flush with the counter top for a more integrated look. You will never miss the depth, because what do we really keep all the way at the back of the refrigerator anyway?
- Purchase energy efficient appliances. They really will save you money in the long run.
- If you can, buy the appliance bundle. You save money when you buy them as a package deal.
- Buy the warranty!
Some top holiday decorating categories to check out on Wayfair:
- String Lights
- Outdoor Christmas Decorations
- Christmas Lights
- Christmas Stockings
- Holiday Wreaths, Garlands, and Flowers
- Snow Globes
- Table Runners
Holiday Gift Ideas
- For the Chef: Toasters, Coffee Makers, and Cookware Sets
- For the Entertainer: Holiday Dinnerware Sets
- For the Kids: Kids Decor by Disney (and more) Characters
- For the Dog Parent:Dog Ramps & Stairs
5 Holiday Movies to Watch in Your Cozy Home
Once the holiday decor is up and the shopping is done, take time for cozy evenings with your family. Watching a holiday movie is a great tradition and it’s sure to put you in the holiday spirit.
Here’s my list of favorites. What’s your favorite?
- The Santa Clause
- The Polar Express
- Miracle on 34th Street
- The Family Stone
From my family to yours, stay safe and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!