Have you ever started a renovation project and midway through you just lose your umph? Motivation flies out the window, you’re exhausted, and you wonder what you are even doing? It happens to the best of us, it happened to me after week 3 of the 6 week spring ORC. How do you get back your reno mojo?
This post contains affiliate links, you can read my full disclosure HERE
How to Get Your Reno Mojo Back
- Take a break. Renovations are life consuming. The entire house gets turned upside down and it becomes a frenzy of activity that takes over. It’s okay to take a break and focus on yourself and your family for a few days. This past weekend our 6 year old granddaughter competed in her very first cheer competition and I went with them for the day. The whole day. Those cheer competitions are no joke, it really is just like in the movies. I had a great time and got some much needed R&R away from our guest bathroom. I may have even taken a nap when I got back home…I know, what a slacker I was.
- Revisit your inspiration and plan for the room. Monday I sat down after my hubby headed off to work and looked again at my INSPIRATION PICTURES from week 1 and MY PLAN from week two to get myself back on track. Seeing those before pictures and looking at what a difference I have already made in that bathroom just by LAYING NEW TILE energized me and helped me get my head back in the game.
- Re-group and push forward. Go back over your timeline and your to do list and make adjustments to be able to get it all done. This is a small bathroom with only a few major projects so I could afford to take the weekend off. If your renovation is bigger with a to do list a mile long, reevaluate your projects and ditch a few unnecessary ones that aren’t crucial to the design. You can always go back later and do them, but for now, get the reno back on track to meet that deadline.
Welcome back to week 4 of the One Room Challenge graciously hosted by Linda from Calling It Home and media partner HouseBeautiful and Andy and Candis from Old Home Love. We are past the midway point and with only two weeks left, I have my reno mojo back and I am ready to get this bathroom finished!
Imagine my surprise and delight when my wallpaper showed up early! Does that ever happen? Thank goodness it did this time and I was able to start putting it up. If you aren’t a fan of wallpaper and you think there is no way you would ever have it your home, head over and see WHY YOU SHOULD SAY YES TO WALLPAPER, I bet I can change your mind.
This is not the same wallpaper from my inspiration board (sad face). I realized when I was ordering it that it was unpasted and not moisture resistant. So I headed down the wallpaper rabbit hole for another couple of hours (of my life that I will never get back) and finally found one I liked. This one is pre-pasted and moisture resistant, a must have for wallpaper in a bathroom.
The old medicine cabinet came down and this is what I found behind it. Of course it had to be patched and the wire relocated to accommodate my new light fixture. I couldn’t add a wiring box due to a vent pipe being right where it needed to go. Shhhh, don’t tell the wiring police.
It wasn’t a big week for progress, but week 5 is gearing up to be a doozy! I don’t know about you, but I am ready for some pretty after photos of the finished space. Construction photos are so horrible…but it’s real.
update on the to do list
repair ceiling paint vanity and add new hardware
- replace vanity top
- replace medicine cabinet with new mirror and lights…the old one is down and the wall patched
tile floor apply new caulk to the tub surround put up wallpaper
- add a towel bar
- replace baseboard and door trim
- install new shower curtain rod and shower curtain
Stay tuned for week 5 and of course the big reveal week coming May 9th.